Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sponsor Letter # 1

Dear Family and Friends,

I was taken off guard the other day when someone asked if I had started to write my sponsor letter, sig­ni­fying that I have now been in Peru for over a month. What’s even more mind­-​​boggling to con­sider is that it was barely this time last year that I first con­tacted Heart’s Home to learn more about the Mission of Com­passion. As I have said many times before, during my first visit this past March to the Heart’s Home in Brooklyn, I was imme­di­ately struck by the sin­cerity and warmness of all those I met. I returned to Brooklyn in June along with five other American volun­teers for two weeks of form­ation before we all departed for our respective mis­sions. For me, it was a comfort to meet other people my age who were sharing in this common exper­ience even though we were each from a dif­ferent part of the United States. This feeling has rever­berated ten­fold with every new encounter I have with the inter­na­tional Heart´s Home family here in Peru.

When I arrived here on September 18th, I was wel­comed at the airport by the members of my new com­munity charging toward me armed with hugs and kisses. All six of us then pro­ceeded to pile into one taxi and head for our home in Barrios Altos. At this point in time I imme­di­ately went into sensory overload, which I am just now starting to come out of. Lima is a bustling city, to say the least, full of crazy taxis and micro-​​­buses, street vendors boasting sizzling skewers of anti­cucho (trans­lation: mar­inated cow’s heart on a stick), fresh produce, flowers, and trinkets galore, and 8 million people roaming to and fro. As is the case in many large cities, even though Barrios Altos (our neigh­borhood) is a mere 15 blocks from the touristy and his­torical “Centro”, it is a world of its own. Once you cross over a large street, you are wel­comed by the sight and odor of dog drop­pings and trash heaps, but moreover you are wel­comed by a myriad of familiar faces waiting for you with open arms.


My new brothers and sisters have been my official tour guides and teachers for it all. As they have so gra­ciously intro­duced me to all of their friends, let me introduce them to you: Tim is 27 years old and a fellow Gringo (the col­lo­quial way to refer to an American). Ale­jandra, 21, and Cecelia, 24, are both from Argentina. Ben­jamin is Chilean and 24 years old. Our household Central American is Jessika, 23, from El Sal­vador. They have given the word “hos­pit­ality” a whole new meaning for me. Not only did they imme­di­ately share their food, bed­rooms, and bath­rooms with me, but they have been by my side every second of every day helping me do everything from nav­ig­ating the book of prayers to washing my laundry. However, I must admit that accepting their help has been a bit of a battle with my pride as I like to con­sider myself a fairly inde­pendent person. But perhaps that is exactly why I am here, away from my home, away from my country, and away from my lan­guage. I have been told many times that in order to share love and com­passion with other people, we must first allow ourselves to be loved and cared for. As simple as that sounds, it is a true struggle for me; it is an act of humility that I don´t think I have ever been fully open to. It is admitting that I am weak, that I don´t have all the answers, and that I des­per­ately need the presence not only of other people, but moreover the ever-​​faithful presence of the Holy Spirit. Here in Lima, I have no other option than to accept this reality. Somehow this acknow­ledgement of dependence is utterly liberating.

THE NITTY GRITTY

But Char­lotte, what exactly is it that you do every day? What does your house look like? What type of food do you eat? These are the ques­tions that many of you have asked and I pondered before arriving so I will do my best to fulfill all of our needs of mental images, but first let me begin with this dis­claimer: our mission is to try our best to be fully present to the reality of our neigh­borhood; to share in the joy and suf­fering of everyone around us. As we all know, reality is highly unpre­dictable so our daily schedule is more like a framework that we work within.

I’ll begin by describing the physical framework that I live in. Our house is com­fortably situated at a dead end of a street, adjacent to a market, making for less car traffic and more foot traffic. When you come through the front door, you find yourself on a patio with a room to your right where we welcome the children who come to our house. Con­tinue on into the house and you will stumble upon the kitchen and the chapel (every Heart´s Home has the grace of having a chapel with the Blessed Sac­rament). In the back of the house are two hallways, a bedroom and bathroom for the boys and the same for the girls. There is also a narrow stairway that leads to a room for vis­itors and the roof where we wash our clothes.

We all rotate daily being in charge of the house. If it is your day, that means that you will lead all prayer, go to the market prepare all the meals (chicken, potatoes, rice, and maybe a salad are pretty standard), and remain in the house in the afternoon to welcome the kids.
On an average day, we wake up at 7:00 for morning prayer, read for thirty minutes, and then eat breakfast. Depending on the day, we do dif­ferent things throughout the morning: Mondays we go to the market and the post office downtown, Tuesdays we clean the house, Fridays we help at a special needs home, and Sat­urdays we play with the kids whose parents sell flowers near the local cemetery. At some point in the morning we have an hour of Ador­ation (silent prayer and reflection) and we eat lunch at 1:00. If time permits, you might be able to sneak in a little siesta before we open our front door at 3:00 to pray the Rosary. After this, one person stays at the house to play with the kids while the rest of us go in pairs to visit our friends in the neigh­borhood. We then all reconvene at 6:00 for evening prayer and then go to Mass, fol­lowed by a bite to eat and then four nights a week people our age come over for a few hours to hang out. At 10:00 we gather once more in the chapel for night prayer and then slowly make our way to bed. Wed­nesday is our day of rest.


However, as I said, this is but a mere framework. These past few weeks have been a little dif­ferent due to a couple of things. First, Tim is leaving on Sunday after being here for nearly two years, thus there are countless people inviting us to their house to share a meal and final con­ver­sation. While it is hard to realize that Tim is leaving, these past few weeks have been a beau­tiful oppor­tunity for me to see the true friendship that exists between the people of Barrios Altos and El Punto (p.s. Heart’s Home in Spanish = Puntos Corazón). In the same way I described the hos­pit­ality of my imme­diate com­munity, the people of the neigh­borhood don us with an incredible amount of familial love as we are far away from our bio­lo­gical fam­ilies. Moreover, many of these people have been friends of our Punto since it opened 16 years ago and remember all of the mis­sion­aries who have come and gone. For me, this rela­tionship with Heart’s Home is a reflection of our rela­tionship with God; while people come and go in our lives, God’s love is never ceasing.

Secondly, there was an expos­ition of photos for two weeks in one of the main parks in Lima to cel­ebrate the 20th anniversary of Heart’s Home. There were large panels scattered throughout the park dis­playing photos from Heart’s Homes all around the world throughout the past 20 years. Everyday there were 3-​​5 people rep­res­enting Heart’s Home to offer more inform­ation to the passer-​​byers (in Lima there are four com­munities: my house in Barrios Altos, another in the Puente Piedra, a house of Heart´s Home nuns right out the city, and a solid group of ex-​​missionaries who live in Lima. Needless to say, I love being part of this vibrant com­munity and you will surely hear more about it in the future). For me it was not only a chance to put my Spanish-​​speaking skills to the test, but an oppor­tunity to reflect upon what exactly the mission of Heart’s Home is. At the end of one con­ver­sation, a man asked me why I talked to him while a steady flow of other people passed by. I simply responded that he was there in that moment and willing to con­verse with me, but it hit me how rare it is for a person to show a sincere interest in another. As over-​​simplistic as our mission of com­pas­sionate presence might sound, it is some­thing that we are all in des­perate need of.

Again, I can never thank all of you enough for all of your support. Without you, Heart’s Home would not exist and I surely wouldn’t be in Lima, Peru. The words of Mumford and Sons, a band my friends intro­duced me to this summer, con­stantly run through my head, “You are not alone in this. As brothers we will stand and hold your hand.” Thank you for holding my hand. Know that my com­munity prays for you daily. Please never hes­itate to contact me with spe­cific prayer requests.

¡Hasta pronto!
Peace and Love,
Charlotte
 

No comments:

Post a Comment