Most of you reading this right now are more than familiar with the concept of 'Southern Hospitality'., so I won't go into extensive detail of what all this phrase entails. But I think we can all agree that Southern Hospitality is a unique gem that is to be treasured, and the deeper south you go, the richer the treasure.
If you really want to strike gold, go beyond the Mason Dixon, go beyond the Gulf of Mexico, leap across the equator, and immerse yourself in South America. Here you will find Southern Hospitality at its finest (Caroline Nabors, if you are reading this, know that I think of you often and how you discovered this treasure long before me).
The geniality of these beautiful people began in teh airport. Everything was find and dandy until i arrived in New York. I successfully claimed by bags to change airlines only to see the word 'cancelado' next to my flight. I jumped into line, soon to find out that my flight had been rescheduled for the following morning due to needed matience on the plane. So I joined my fellow delayed passengers on the 'complimentary' bus that took us to the Hampton Inn to rest for the night. I soon met Emily, a Chilean expatriate now living in Canada on her way to visit her family in Chile and celebrate her grandmother's 85th birthday. After exchanging our common frustration and a few laughs, she invited me to join her for the continental breakfast in the morning. Needless to say, in 12 hours I learned her life story and acquired a faithful friend.
The hospitality continued on the plane with impeccable customer service, and after I made it through customs, I was greeted by my new community charging toward me with hugs and kisses. They grabbed my bags, all six of us piled into a taxi, and I soon arrived at my new house. (I am still a little discombobulated...however you spell that word...but i promise i will try and post pictures soon).
Since then, barely five days have passed and needless to say, my brain has gone into overload, trying to soak in this new world around me and decipher the 4 different Spanish dialects around me (I live with Benjamin from Chile, Cecelia and Alejandra from Argentina, Jessika from El Salvador, and Tim from Boston, and of course there are the native Peruvians all around us).
I feel a bit like a puppy and a bit like a 4 year old. Literally everything around me is new and different. I don't know where anything is so I just follow my new family around. I don't understand how to prepare different types of drinks and food, so I have to ask, and I am about to embark on learning the art form of hand washing clothes. But all the while, my new brothers and sisters are eternally gracious, explaining all the little things to me, and constantly telling me to rest whenever I need to.
La gente del barrio...the people of the neighborhood...que linda!..how beautiful. My brothers and sisters formally introduce me to everyone who in turn greet me with some kind words and a kiss on a cheek. It is an impossible task to get out of a house without consuming some type of refreshment. The warmness and kindness of all the people around are constant pick me ups.
Ok, I feel as I am ending this abruptly but my time here in the 'cyber' is up and I am about to go to Mass. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will get a better feel of the rhythm of life here and be able to think a little more clearly!
Thank you for all of your love and prayers.
You are in mine.
Peace and Love
Eek! Eek! Eek! So good to read your thoughts these first few days! I am so glad that you made it there safely! Wow hand washing clothes?? Will you use a board like they do on Little House on the Prarie? I mean you already have the hair do;) And four dialects?!?! I feel like i would have constant brain stutters. Te amo!
ReplyDeleteI feel as if I am getting to experience it all with you! I love you so much and it encourages me like crazy to hear about how you've been received there! I am praying for you chica! Rock it!
ReplyDelete